By far the most fascinating conference I’ve ever attended… The Climate Reality Project was mind-blowing and much more concentrated than I had expected! By the end of the 3-day event my mind was bursting with facts, knowledge, science, meeting new people, inspiration, motivation, emotion and becoming part of a larger network of positive ‘doing’ people.
During the fast-paced 3 days we were fortunate to hear from notable leaders including:
•Mike Cannon-Brookes (self created young Australian billionaire): Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Atlassian – A real mover and shaker, steam-rolling, creating and supporting a magnitude of fascinating projects including a huge investment into a $22Billion solar project, the largest in the world near Tennant Creek in NT. Now who said there was no money in renewables?
•The Honourable Leeanne Enoch MP: Queensland Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef, Minister for Science, and Minister for the Arts, Queensland Parliament and a proud Indigenous Quandamooka woman originally from Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island) – Her passion for the environment was clear and she was very proud that Brisbane was hosting such a world-class event.
•Al Gore: Founder and Chairman, The Climate Reality Project and Former US Vice President – A phenomenal personality, motivator and advocate for Climate Change.
•Peter Gash: Present Custodian of family run Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort (Eco-tourism business), Lady Elliot Island, The Great Barrier Reef – A lover of the stunning Lady Elliot who is striving hard to make it accessible to all people in order to raise awareness and to protect its natural beauty. A must visit destination!
•Natalie Isaacs: Founder and CEO, 1 Million Women and Climate Reality Leader – The empowered creator of a global movement of women and girls who take practical action to fight climate change by changing the way they live. The international group has exceeded 800,000 and counting.
•Dr Anne Poelina: Managing Director, Madjulla Inc.; Chair, Martuwarra Fitzroy River Council; Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, The University of Notre Dame Australia – An energised and brilliant speaker with amazing insight into entrepreneurial ‘new economy’ opportunities for all including Indigenous people in green collar jobs in diverse, science, culture, heritage, and conservation economies.
•Many more speakers from politics, CSIRO, universities, resorts, tourism operators, transport companies, energy companies / agencies, scientists, conservationists and distinguished leaders from neighbouring countries and even a surprise Chief Mermaid etc…
We also took part in many group activities, both with our amazing tables as well as larger groups.
A few take-home key points (amongst the many):
– We are all in this together and Climate Change is everyone’s business
– How can we all move along together (even those currently working in fossil fuel industries for example) into a better way of existing where we can all benefit
– There is phenomenal opportunity for Australia to be real leaders in Climate Change
– Through education, support, encouragement etc we can change – it is totally achievable – humans excel at problem solving!
– It is challenging changing our ways, especially with big businesses invested heavily in some areas, but even phasing out the horse and cart was met with tremendous resistance until the benefits of industrialisation and mechanisation was understood. Then it was a no-brainer!
– So many personal stories, insights, information on businesses and projects moving forward etc…
Check out the website: